Sunday, September 11, 2011

First Impressions VS. The Relationship That Comes After

So basically, today I am going to talk about first impressions.
I seriously do not know if we should take the first impression as the one that counts, because we are humans and we tend to screw things up a lot. Plus, I believe in second chances. I am not saying everyone deserves a second chance, because there are people that just do not deserve it, for real. The ones who do not deserve it are the ones who screw things big time. You know, the ones you know that they are just “URGHH”.
But what can I say? First impressions are not always important. I think that the relationship that comes after first impressions are more important. Or at least, that is just my own opinion.
I am sure that all of us have had the worst or the best “first impression” of someone, but then with the second, third, or maybe fourth impression we have convinced ourselves that that person is not what we thought at first.

I will tell you an anecdote just to prove you my point.

When I was in 6th grade, we had this new English teacher. The first impression we had about her was neither good, nor bad, but it was more negative than positive. We did not like her because she was so strict and different, I guess. She looked so angry and not friendly, at all. And, to be honest, we did not appreciate the fact that she was our teacher.
I still remember one day she could not go to school because something terrible happened (I can not say what happened, of course). It was not something to be happy about it, but just the fact that she did not go to school was so comforting (and now that I am writing this and remembering this I feel awful).
After we started to know her, everything changed. We realized she was actually amazing and one of the best teachers we have ever had.
She was lovely, positive, hilarious, trustable, and so energetic. She showed us she cared about us. She was always there whenever we needed help. She just wanted the best for us, her students. She was kind of our “school mom”, if you want to put it in that way. It was funny the fact that she even became one of my “friends”. This sounds weird, but in some way she was a good friend, because she always listened and gave good advices, plus she never failed at making us smile.
She taught us not only English, she taught us a lot about life as well. She was the kind of teacher that wanted us to appreciate everything our parents did to pay our studies. She wanted us to appreciate everything that life gave us and to take every situation with a smile and say - “bring it on, because I can handle this”. For her, it did not matter if the situation was a good one or a bad one, she always said we had to be strong and move on. She never fed up of giving us that type of speeches.
I will never forget that she always said that every act and decision had its consequences. If it was a good act or a good decision, we would have good consequences, but if it was a wrong act or the wrong decision, we would have bad consequences. But anyway we had to accept them. She really took this, seriously. Everyday she reminded us the whole thing about the consequences. For me it was good, because she was right. She had her point.
I wish I could tell you everything she taught us, but I would never finish. But the main things were:
  • Appreciate everything we have
  • Accept the consequences of our own acts
  • Being responsible
  • Study hard for our future
  • Being independent, and
  • Not to take things for granted.

Now, I really miss her. I really miss her motivating speeches. I miss our inside jokes, like saying “GUATEVER” (that was epic). I think she is one of the best role models on this planet.
The ones who know or have ever had the chance to meet her or talk to her are very lucky, trust me. I know every single person will learn something from her. The three years I had the chance to spend time with her I did not learn just one thing from her, I learned a billion of things.
I just really hope I can see her again!

So yeah, this is my story. Now take a moment and ask to yourself…
Do first impressions really matter? Or is the relationship that comes after the one that counts?

Thanks for reading my blog guys. I will write more next week! Keep an eye on this!
(It is my first post, so be nice with me).




P.S
My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone (victims, families, etc) affected by the awful event of 9/11.

2 comments:

  1. GUAAAAAAUUU jau priti sojan :) ai enlloid ridin it, ai lov llu!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your matter-of-fact tone. Continue to be yourself as you write, and keep up the intelligent, thoughtful work!

    Miss K

    ReplyDelete